You can view all photos in a Gallery Page.
Selected Category is : History at a Glance
12
 
1855-1858 ( Rt. Rev. Mgr. Daniel Murphy )
Rt. Rev. Mgr. Daniel Murphy, at the age of 30, became the first Vicar Apostolic of Hyderabad during the 16th year of the reign of the Fourth Nizam, Asaf Nasirud Dowla Bahadur. Two years prior to the Great Indian Mutiny, on the 11th day of June, in the year 1855, he founded a school at the request of his Highness and named it College of All Hallows after his Alma Mater in Ireland. It was then at Maretts Bunglow at Basheerbagh and educated only the English and the Anglo-Indian students of His Highness, the Nizams army staff. Three years after, he persuaded the Superior General of Milan Foreign Mission Society to adopt the College of All Hallows and six years after that he left for Ireland owing to his ill-health.
1858 – 1881 ( Rev. Father Peter Caprotti )
Rev. Father Peter Caprotti was sent as its first Rector. Though the number of students increased. Fr. Caprotti had to keep shifting, and moved to more spacious buildings; first near the State Library, then to Asad Bagh and to Rumbold Kothe and finally settled down at Gunfoundry. As the school was not prospering, Bishop Murphy recommended the closing down of the school and starting an orphanage in its place. But the generosity and support of His Highness, the Nizam and his Prime Minister Sir Salar Jung the Great, saw not only the growth of the school, but also to be declared the best educational institution in Hyderabad and the opening of an orphanage the very next year. In 1870, there were 105 students in what the school then was known as Seminary and College of All Saints. Although the number went down to 85 in 1872, his vigorous effort saw it swell to 151 in 1874. It was the growing popularity of the institution that made the Missionary Fathers procure the land at this majestic location in 1874 and Rev. Fr. Malberti, the Assistant Rector, built the main double-storeyed building. Though he left All Saints to become the Bishop of Hyderabad in 1881, he continued to be the patron of All Saints Institution till 1895, then he left for Italy due to his ill-health. He continued to be the moving spirit behind the institution and put it on sound managerial and administrative foundation. The Caprotti Hall was the standing monument recognizing his service.
1881- 1897 ( Rev. Fr. Carlino )
Rev. Fr. Carlino became its second Rector when Rev. Fr. Caprotti became the Bishop. In 1883 the institution received recognition and recorded cent percent result in the first batch of Middle School Examinations under the Madras Board of Education. In 1886 the Education Inspector Mothamad Jung in his report said, “No institution can rival it at present in its steady adherence to the curriculum of the Madras Board". The demise of Bishop Caprotti, Rev. Fr. Carlino and Mr. Norton, its headmaster in quick succession aggravated the crisis and the strength dwindled from 234 to 166.
1897-1898 ( Rev. Fr. Vigano )
All Saints recovered immediately after Rev. Fr. Vigano was made its Rector. Once again All Saints began securing 100% passes.
1898 – 1899 ( Rev. Fr. Negri )
When Rev. Fr. Vigano was made the Bishop in 1898, the mantle fell on Rev, Fr. Negri and All Saints continued to progress.
1899 – 1904 ( Rev. Fr. Civati )
In 1899 Rev. Fr. Civati was made the Rector and the number of students went upto 215. The Director made a special note of the excellent work of the great teachers like Fr. Barrett, Mr. O Kelly and Mr. Sivasankaran Iyer in his report.
1904 – 1906 ( Rev. Fr. Colli )
Rev. Fr. Collis Rectorship the number of students swelled to 370 students but there was a fall in the percentage of passes and this made many students of higher classes abandon studies.
1906 – 1908 ( Rev. Fr. Pagani )
Rev. Fr. Pagani had to struggle to keep the numbers from going down. The Director even recommended that the school should confine itself only to Lower Secondary syllabus so that it could improve the results.
1908 – 1924 ( Rev. Fr. Garbelli )
Rev. Fr. Garbelli became the Rector in 1908 and set about introducing Kindergarten methodology of teaching, and other useful activities like drawing, needle work, sports and games, shorthand and typing, printing etc. He built up the Science Laboratory and the King George V Coronation Memorial Building to house the laboratory and the library. Being a member of the Board of SLC, he introduced Moral Science Training. Consequently, the result improved, and the school strength rose to over 500. Finding that the students outnumbered the available facilities, he built the Salar Jung Memorial Kindergarten Building in 1914 with the help of Sir Salar Jung. In 1915, the First Old Boys Association was formed.. The World War I, the economic strains and the plague took its toll on All Saints and the number dwindled to 311.
1924 – 1925 ( Rev. Fr. Grassi )
Rev. Fr. Grassi was Rector only for two years and inspite of the plague the number of students rose to 324.
1925 – 1927 ( Rev. Fr. Paul Ryan )
For the next three years, the school came under the order of Franciscan Missionaries. They tried to restructure the institution. Scouting movement under Mr. Sivan made tremendous progress. Rev. Fr. Paul Ryan then got transferred.
1925 – 1927 ( Rev. Fr. Paul Ryan )
For the next three years, the school came under the order of Franciscan Missionaries. They tried to restructure the institution. Scouting movement under Mr. Sivan made tremendous progress. Rev. Fr. Paul Ryan then got transferred.
1927 – 1928 ( Rev. Fr. E. Reilly )
Under Rev. Fr. E. Reilly the school continued to make progress. Unfortunately, in 1928 Rev. Fr. E. Reilly was also called back.
1928 – 1929 ( Rev. Fr. Dufresne )
Bishop Denis Vismara called upon the services of the Missionaries of Francis de Sales from Nagpur to take charge of All Saints. Rev. Fr. Dufresne was a great builder, teacher and sportsman. It was then that the poor boys section in the school, to be made a separate Middle School, was suggested. The seeds of founding St. Peters School were sown. Mr. Sebastian Mascarenhas was awarded the prestigious Gokhale Scholar.
1929 – 1932 ( Rev. Fr. Stefantti )
Unable to get the priests to run the institution, Bishop Vismara finally entrusted the school to his own priest Rev. Fr. Stefantti, but after Rev. Fr. Stefantti relinquished the office in 1932 due to his ill-health, the school was once again without a shepherd.
1932 – 1933 ( Rev. Bro. Rosius )
It was then in June, 1932 Bishop Vismara invited the Brothers of St. Gabriel to take charge of All Saints High School. After expressing much reluctance, the Brothers accepted the invitation and appointed Rev. Bro. Rosius as its first Rector in 1932. Ill-health forced him to give the charge of the school to Rev. Bro. M. Paul in December 1933.
1934 – 1947 ( Rev. Bro. M. Paul )
Rev. Bro. M. Paul officially became the Rector and continued in the office for 13 1/2 years. Any doubt people must have had about an Indian heading an English school vanished soon. Buildings were renovated and made spotlessly clean. He equipped the school with furniture, maps, laboratory materials, books, a radio and a piano. Scouting, sports, class-excursions, Parents Day Celebrations, School Magazine, etc. were started. Teaching was streamlined, the result shot up from 40 % to 100 % and the strength rose to 998. In 1935, the Jubilee Hall was declared open by His Highness General Walashan Nawab Azam Jah Bahadur, the Prince of Berar. The Victory Hall also found its place in All Saints in 1943 and in the same year, the play ground, the pride of All Saints was also born. Thus, a sloping piece of land was turned into a flat piece of land. Rev. Bro. M. Pauls hard work was duly rewarded, when the school got the best result in the Nizams Dominion and he rightly secured the Gokhale Award.
1947 – 1958 ( Rev. Bro. John of God )
In 1947, at the dawn of Independence, Rev. Bro. John of God was appointed the Rector. His experience of working under Rev. Bro. M. Paul in All Saints for 7 years added to his advantage. He maintained the momentum of progress. The school began to burst at its seams, as more and more sought the services of the school during the post Independence period. So, instead of making the buildings dominate over space for movement, he sought to branch out to other places. This resulted in All Saints extending itself into Mr. Fanos building at Chirag Ali Lane. 719 All Saintsians and their teachers became the first members of the Little Flower High School in 1953 and the wishes of the inspector became a reality 25 years after he had pronounced it. In 1954 St. Peters Middle School housed the poor students of All Saints. The students were given free education or had to pay a nominal fee.
1958 – 1962 ( Rev. Bro. John of Sacred Heart )
All Saints was blessed with continuity. Rev. Bro. M. Paul, Rev. Bro. John of God and then Rev. Bro. John of Sacred Heart who had worked under Rev. Bro. John of God from 1950 to 1955, became the Rector in 1958. The scattered school buildings got amalgamated into the majestic Montfort Block that is always associated with the All Saints landscape and he was bestowed the National Award for Teachers. What a fitting tribute to St. Montfort, thanks to Rev. Bro. John of Sacred Heart and Mr. Chandulal Dangoria, its architect! Decentralization of Academic Administrative System saw the school maintaining excellence. The great sportsmen the institution gave to the nation, stand testimony to the excellence of non-academic training it gave to its students.
1962- 1964, 1965 – 1969 ( Rev. Bro. Felix )
Rev. Bro. Felix stepped into the shoes of Rev. Bro John of the Sacred Heart in 1962. All Saints was led by him from 1962 to 1964 and again from 1967 to 1969. A new two-floor building accommodated the Primary Section of All Saints. 1965 to 1968 was a period of transition.
12